Lewis RV Blog
- 0 0Published on Feb 10, 2014
How to Save Money when Traveling
Are you looking to save money on your next vacation? Tired of staying in overpriced hotels and eating at overpriced restaurants? If so, you may want to take your next vacation in an RV. Not only can you save money while in your RV, but a new study released by the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association found that taking your vacation in an RV will help you save money even before your vacation begins.
The study, which was commissioned by RVIA and conducted by PKF Consulting, concluded that RV vacations will save a family of four a lot of cash when taking their vacations in certain types of RVs. Some highlights of the study indicated that on average, including ownership costs, the cost per day of the camping vacation using a folding camping trailer was found to be about:
- 45 percent less expensive than the cost of comparable car/hotel combination vacations
- 61 percent less than the cost of a comparable air/hotel vacation
- 47 percent less than the cost of the comparable air/rental home or condo vacation.
Another RV compared was the cost per day of the camping vacation using a Type C motorhome. Those results found that it was on average:
- 27 percent less expensive than the cost of comparable car/hotel combination vacations
- 48 percent less than the cost of a comparable air/hotel
- 29 percent less than the cost of the comparable air/rental home or condo vacation
This study is a reminder that owning an RV can be very advantageous when traveling. If you’re looking to save even more money, follow these tips to make sure you get the most bang for your buck on your next vacation.
1. Eat Cheap
A big advantage of having an RV is that you have your own kitchen, as well as access to campgrounds and campfires to cook your meals.
One of the key factors to why RVing is less expensive than regular travel is that in an RV you can make your own meals, eliminating the expense of eating out in restaurants.
By buying groceries and planning out meals, you can eat well and save money all in one. Here are some items to consider that will fill you up for cheap:
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Hot Dogs
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches
2. Look for Discounted Equipment
Buying equipment and camping supplies can get a little pricey. However, with a little research, you can find ways to get equipment at lower prices. Some of the ways you can avoid paying too much include:
- Make of list of things you need
- Making a list will help you avoid spending money on unnecessary items.
- Attend retail/outlet store sales -Most outdoor retail stores will have at least one clearance event per year. Those are great times to jump on new gear at severely discounted rates.
- Borrow gear from trusted sources - Borrowing good camping gear from a friend or other trusted source is not only a good way to save money, it’s also a way to avoid buying cheap, unreliable gear.
- Check reviews online - Checking all products you are thinking of buying online is a good way to make sure that they will be useful and functional.
Saving money on equipment and food will only further your savings of traveling in an RV.
Lewis RV Center
If you want to start saving on your family vacations for years to come, come see us at Lewis RV Center in Oklahoma City, OK.
At Lewis RV Center we offer a wide selection of travel trailers, fifth wheels and toy haulers, as well as plenty of quality used RVs as well. Contact one of our friendly sales representatives today or stop by our location at 1600 East Reno, just one mile east of Bricktown, and let us help get you in a quality RV today! Comment below with your favorite tips for saving money while on vacation!